If you think about it for a moment, you will realize that our lives are so much better than before thanks to appliances. We have a device for every single thing there is to be done. You clothes are washed and dried with minimal effort, the same goes for the dishes, and the food is being cooked almost by itself.
Westinghouse WCM660B Microwave
6 convenient cooking power levels
A 30 minute timer with audible end of cooking signal
600 watts of cooking power
Whirlpool WMC20005YW 0.5 Cubic Feet Microwave
750 Watts Cooking Power, 10 Power Levels
Add 30 Seconds Option, Quick Touch Popcorn Button
Tap Touch Controls
Danby Designer DMW077BLSDD Microwave
0.7 cu. ft. (20 litres) capacity microwave
700 watts of cooking power
Simple one-touch cooking for 6 popular uses
Manufacturers all over the world struggled to create the perfect appliance for everyone. That is why they shrank some of them to a size that can be fitted anywhere. And there are plenty of cases where a compact appliance is more than welcome. Take students for example. They live in dorms with not very much space to occupy. All of their things need to be compact. Or a young couple who moved in a small studio. They don’t have too much space either. So, there is a mini washer, a mini dishwasher, so why wouldn’t there be a small microwave as well?
A smallmicrowave is, in fact, a microwave that has less cubic feet. Usually, any microwave that has less than one cubic feet is considered a compact version. I have to admit that they are tiny little things that look kind of cute in a small space.
The benefits of a small microwave
As you can imagine, in a small microwave you will find pretty much the same characteristics as in a big one. It will still do what a normal-size one does, only on a smaller scale. But here is how I see things.
- It occupies less space – this is the primary reason people buy small microwaves in the first place. They want something smaller, so they go for these compact devices. It sits very well in a dorm room, or in a small apartment that has a tiny kitchen. In cases like these, anything that comes in a smaller size is golden. Plus, you get to have more stuff. You get a small microwave, but you can also have a mini blender on the same small countertop.
- It’s portable – and I don’t mean that you can carry it around in a bag and heat a sandwich on the go. You still need to plug it in. However, portability here means that you can move it easily. Students have to move at least 2 times per year, right? In and out of the dorms. That means everything they own goes with them. A small microwave is easy to pack and carry. I am not saying that a normal-size microwave is massive, but anything that is heavier than it should be usually gets left behind. Like refrigerators. Unless it’s a mini fridge.
- It’s less expensive – of course, it is cheaper thana regular It’s smaller, fewer resources invested, thus lower prices. Since you cannot afford a bigger apartment, less expensive appliances make sense, don’t they?
- It offers basic features – you can still find models that will heat at 750 watts, but compact versions usually have quick controls like popcorn and reheat. I find that very helpful in certain situations.
The only drawback I can see is related to its size. The small microwave is a blessing as it is a curse. I say that because the capacity is not enough sometimes. And the most tragic thing I find is that you cannot heat a large pizza slice. Not in a single piece, at least.
What to consider when buying a small microwave
Just because the microwave is small, that doesn’t mean you have to have low standards. You still want a high-quality microwave, even if it’s more like half of it. Looking for the right one is not difficult. There are hundreds of models available. Someof them will deliver, some will not. All you need is to pay attention to the specifications and choose the one that best suits your needs. Here is what matter the most.
- Size – size matters in this case. After all, that is why you are looking for a small microwave as opposed to a regular-size one. The size ranges from 0.5 cubic feet to 0.9 cubic feet. Anything larger than that is a conventional You know what your needs are, so you decide which one you choose. The only thing you need to remember is that everything that exceeds 1 cubic feet is no small microwave.
- Automatic buttons – personally, I like everything that has automatic in it. There are small microwaves that come with automatic For example, there is a popcorn button, reheat, or warm different kinds of food. You can even find a defrost button if you like, but that depends on whether or not you plan on defrosting and cooking something.
- Power levels – this again is up to you. It depends on what you plan to do. If you just use it to make some popcorn now and then, or maybe you need to reheat a sandwich, you won’t need too many power levels. However, if you plan to cook, defrost meat and other things, somewhere around 6 power levels will suffice.
- Construction – a small microwave may be tiny, but that doesn’t mean it has to be poorly constructed. It still needs to be resilient and sturdy. The metal ones are usually the best, especially those who have stainless steel. However, if you look long enough, you can find plastic models that are just as good.
- Ease of cleaning – cleaning a microwave is no big deal, but some that are poorly made can prove to be hard to clean. It depends on the device’s finish. If the finish inside is adherent, then you may spend some time scrubbing. But if you go for shiny coating, cleaning will take a couple of minutes.
How to best clean a microwave oven?
The methods I know of don’t even require a cleaning solution, let alone scrubbing. I know two such methods, one better than the other.
- First is quite simple. In a heat-resistant bowl, you put a cup of water. Turn the microwave on for 5 minutes. After that, remove the bowl and wipe the inside of the microwave. The water vapors will have softened everything, and so it’s easy to remove.
- The second is my favorite because I can do two things at once. I like my sweet potatoes baked in the microwave. I wrap the potato in paper towels and set the timer for 5 minutes on a side and 4 minutes on the other. The potato contains water, so there will be water vapors. Remove the potato, and while it cools down, you can wipe the microwave. Simple as that.
What are the best small microwaves?
Finding one that is the best is easy, finding the best for you is another story. We all have different preferences and not all of us like the same thing. Also, circumstances differ. Your need for a small microwave might be different than mine. However, there are a few models that manage to keep everyone satisfied. So, if you feel lost in the sea of small microwaves you find online, here are three suggestions that may be of help.
Westinghouse WCM660B Microwave
You can find this small microwave in two different sizes, one that has a capacity of 0.9 cubic feet and the other is 0.6 cubic feet. The size you choose will depend on your available space and needs. Both of them have the same functions and features.
The Westinghouse comes with 6 power levels. There is high, medium-high, medium, medium-low, defrost, and low. That should be enough for most people. The cooking power is 600 watts, which is small comparing to other models, but it will do the job. Maybe not in as little time as others, but it will do. The controls of this model are simple. You have a mechanical, rotary dial that you need to turn depending on the power you want and the cooking time. The timer goes to 30 minutes, and when the time is up, you’ll hear a signal.
This microwave is easy to use and install. It has an easy to grasp grip type handle to open and close the door. Cleaning comes easy as the glass turntable is removable. The inside coating won’t need heavy scrubbing. I think it’s perfect for small apartments, student dorms, or any other small spaces. It can accommodate a 9.5-inch plate (at the most.) Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
Whirlpool WMC20005YW 0.5 Cubic Feet Microwave
I have never seen a smaller microwave in my life. Not even online. Not that I was searching for one until now, but the first time I saw this model I said to myself that it has to be the smallest microwave in the world.Its capacity is only 0.5 cubic feet. But just because it’s small, that doesn’t mean it’s not powerful. Whirlpool is smaller than the previous model, but it comes with a 750 watts cooking power. It will heat and defrost in no time.
TheWMC20005YW comes with 10 power levels. You can cook whatever you want. It doesn’t matter that you want to heat a bowl of milk or cook a frozen pizza. You can heat from low to high, you can defrost, and you even have a quick touch popcorn button. It also has an ‘add 30 seconds’ option. You can control the microwave using the tap touch buttons.
One of the things you will like the most about this small microwave is its design. It is the mother of small devices, and you can place it anywhere. Are you familiar with the corner made by two countertops? It’s too deep to use, but Whirlpool WMC20005YW will be a perfect fit in there. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
Danby Designer DMW077BLSDD Microwave
The Danby Designer comes in a variety of sizes and styles. It’s available from 0.7 cubic feet to 1.4, but we are interested in small microwaves, so we’ll stick with the 0.7 one. As for styles, you can choose from black, white, or even stainless steel. Personally, I like the stainless steel better because it has a sturdier construction.
The cooking power is 700 watts, which is not too high, but it’s not too low either. It’s somewhere in the middle. It should be enough for most people. It has 10 power levels that are suitable for most needs you may have. You even have six buttons for 6 popular uses (popcorn, potato, pizza, beverage, dinner plate, and frozen vegetable.) It cooks and defrosts by weight.
The Danby microwave has an appealing design. The stainless steel makes it look stylish. The controls are digital and easy to handle. It won’t take you long to figure out the buttons. It has a clock display and a durable handle to open and close the door. The signal at the end of cooking is not too loud, so it will not bother you very much. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
Honestly, I like all three products, but my favorite is the Whirlpool WMC20005YW 0.5 Cubic Feet Microwave. It has the controls you need, the size is the smallest I have ever seen, and it will do a good job in the kitchen. That is why I believe it’s one of the best small microwaves available.
I am a big fan of small appliances. They are pretty much the same thing as regular-size ones, only on a smaller scale. I don’t believe they are useful only for dorms and small apartments. If you live alone, one of these should be sufficient no matter how big your house is. They are less expensive, and they will occupy very little space. Who says that the countertop should be full of appliances? One of the three options above will look great in any kitchen. Click here to buy on Amazon